Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Just a quick question

  1. #1
    Inactive Member cosmo99's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 7th, 2005
    Posts
    503
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Just a quick question

    I know this may be a stupid question but I was wondering if it is illegal to order medicine from Canada?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Just a quick question

    I think only if you don't have a valid prescription. Don't order from there anyway.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member cosmo99's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 7th, 2005
    Posts
    503
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Just a quick question

    It's no problem to get a prescription. I would not consider it other than the fact that we have no insurance and my husband is a type 1 diabetic and has to have his insulin and he is on the insulin pump. I checked out a reputable site and 10 vials of Humalog from a Canadian pharmacy is $470.00 while 10 vials of Humalog from Wal-mart is around $1100.00. So it is a thought. The amount of insulin that he uses daily varies but normally his prescription is wrote for 10 vials.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Jason's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2002
    Posts
    3,146
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Just a quick question

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmo99 View Post
    It's no problem to get a prescription. I would not consider it other than the fact that we have no insurance and my husband is a type 1 diabetic and has to have his insulin and he is on the insulin pump. I checked out a reputable site and 10 vials of Humalog from a Canadian pharmacy is $470.00 while 10 vials of Humalog from Wal-mart is around $1100.00. So it is a thought. The amount of insulin that he uses daily varies but normally his prescription is wrote for 10 vials.
    If you can do it then go for it. Has he ever asked his doctor for help with the insulin?

  5. #5
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Just a quick question

    Some pharmaceutical companies have programs to help indigent patients, but if you're an ordinary working household you probably wouldn't qualify (working folks can't win).

    In the meantime, price your husband's insulin at Lonesome Pine Economy Drug (276) 679-5190 (old Witt building). I've switched over to them completely after pricing things I need, not covered by insurance, with them. Super nice pharmacist.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Ironlung's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2002
    Posts
    10,218
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Just a quick question

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmo99 View Post
    It's no problem to get a prescription. I would not consider it other than the fact that we have no insurance and my husband is a type 1 diabetic and has to have his insulin and he is on the insulin pump. I checked out a reputable site and 10 vials of Humalog from a Canadian pharmacy is $470.00 while 10 vials of Humalog from Wal-mart is around $1100.00. So it is a thought. The amount of insulin that he uses daily varies but normally his prescription is wrote for 10 vials.
    I use both Humalog and Lantus. I usually ***** and moan every time I have to pay to have it refilled. After seeing what you guys are going through, I'll have a hard time doing that again.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

  7. #7
    Inactive Member cosmo99's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 7th, 2005
    Posts
    503
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile Re: Just a quick question

    Thanks for the responses. I think I will give Lonesome Pine Pharmacy a call tomorrow. I have been getting him the Humalog samples from our Doctor but I know getting the samples probably isn't going to last long. I have been hunting for insurance but I know that he will have a 12-18 month pre-existing condition clause and I also know that insurance will be expensive. I have been ordering his insulin pump supplies online and those are pretty expensive too. I ordered him a box of 10 infusion sets and it was $115.00 which granted, that was the cheapest I found but that is still expensive and I can not find anywhere local that sells what he has to have. The insulin pump is a life saver but it sure eats up the money with the few things that it has to have.

    There is a website that I have been on that I just found yesterday and it has great sources of information and tips on slashing drug costs. I couldn't use the different assistance programs that they have listed but its is an interesting site.

    http://www.slashdrugcosts.org/forum/index.php

  8. #8
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Just a quick question

    I forgot to mention, check with Sam's Club pharmacy too (closest one is in Bristol).
    You don't have to be a member to use the pharmacy.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member DieHardSportsGal's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 5th, 2007
    Posts
    95
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Just a quick question

    Mountain Empire Older Citizens has a program called Pharmacy Connect for Southwest Virginia. They help people, regardless of age, get hooked up with drug companies who can provide free or very low cost medications. Their number is 523-4202.
    Progress always involves risk. You can't steal second base with your foot on first.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Just a quick question

    I was under the impression it was illegal to import medicine in from other countries.

    And I am not sure the prescription would be valid in Canada, I dont know how their medical system works,but you might would have to get another prescription from the Canadian doctor before they will fill it.

    I know its illegal to bring in medicine from Mexico, so I would say it would be illegal.

    But I AM NOT 100% SURE! So please don't just take my word for it, do a lil research, but I would think they would have to write you a new prescription for you to fill them from a Canadian company.

    Here is what I found;
    For many years, consumers near Canada have driven across the border to buy their drugs at considerable savings from Canadian pharmacies. Now consumers across the country can purchase from a Canadian pharmacy by mail. Canadian pharmacies typically require proof of identity and a valid prescription. Unless issued by a doctor who is also licensed to practice medicine in Canada, U.S. prescriptions will be reissued by a Canadian doctor.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •